- Breakaway Pop Hit: Bryan Adams had a minor radio hit with the pop remix of "Here I Am."
- Creator Killer: This is the last time Jeffrey Katzenberg would attempt to directly write a story for a theatrical film. After his sitcom Father of the Pride bombed a couple of years later, he decided to remain strictly in his executive role. This is also the semi-last hand-drawn animated film from DreamWorks before the switch to full-CGI films starting with Shark Tale.
- Cut Song: At least three: "Brothers Under the Sun", "Nothing I have Ever Known", and "The Long Road Home". The music for both appears in the film proper, and they're on the soundtrack (and "Brothers Under the Sun" also plays at the very end of the end credits). Nothing I Have Ever Known however is not in the movie properly, not even in the credits. However the instrumental version can be heard during Spirit and Rain's romance scenes.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Based on the film's time period and setting, the unnamed Colonel (voiced by James Cromwell) is clearly meant to be Union Calvary officer George Armstrong Custer.
- What Could Have Been: Rain was originally slated to be Killed Off for Real.
Trivia / Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron