- All-Star Cast: Almost all the lead roles are played by highly-skilled veteran actors who have been in a number of notable pictures, which could explain why the chemistry between them is excellent.
- Directed By Castmember: Clint Eastwood was initially just going to star in and produce the film, not direct it. After potential directors thought filming space travel would be too difficult, he decided to do it himself.
- Harpo Does Something Funny: The interview with Jay Leno was filmed in front of a real Tonight Show audience. Leno made monologue jokes about Viagra, Matlock, and prostate problems. Leno ad-libbed with the actors like he would in a real interview.
- Looping Lines: The opening flashback sequence has the film's present-day actors doing a fairly obvious dub job over the younger actors.
- Playing Against Type: A minor one. This is the only film in which Clint Eastwood plays a married man.
- Production Nickname: Clint Eastwood nicknamed the movie Geezer Power.
- Technology Marches On: The reason for the entire plot. Corvin is chosen for the mission because of his familiarity with several outdated computer systems and programming languages.
- Underage Casting: Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland are too young to have been astronaut pilots in 1958 as mentioned in the script.
- What Could Have Been: Originally Sean Connery was supposed to play Jerry O'Neil and Jack Nicholson was supposed to play Tank Sullivan. Warren Beatty was considered for Frank Corvin.
Trivia / Space Cowboys