- Ability over Appearance: Judy was intended to be a blonde, to contrast against Angela's brown hair. But Karen Fields played the Alpha Bitch so well that the character became brunette.
- Cast the Expert: The paramedics carrying away the injured Artie were locals. Their squad is seen written on their jackets.
- Colbert Bump: The film was always regarded as a Cult Classic, but it did get a minor boost in popularity after being featured on Robot Chicken. It was even lampshaded:Camper: Oh my God! Angela's the killer and she was really a boy!
Robert Hiltzik: Oh my God! Somebody remembered this movie and wrote a comedy sketch about it!
- Creator Backlash: The director later said he regretted having Angela kill the kids who threw sand on her. He wanted every victim in the movie to be an Asshole Victim and later decided that this was a bit Disproportionate Retribution.
- Crosscast Role: Felissa Rose as Peter, raised as Angela.
- Dawson Casting: Mostly averted with the cast. Katherine Kamhi was borderline as Meg; she was nineteen.
- Enforced Method Acting: The man who stood in for Felissa Rose in the final scene had to be drunk before he could properly film it.
- Real-Life Relative: A lot of the cast and crew's relatives appeared as the campers getting off the bus near the beginning of the film.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Felissa Rose's mother protested about a couple of things that influenced the shooting process - and resulted in some additional Foreshadowing of the twist. She did not want her daughter to be the killer, as she was too young. So the male Jonathan Tiersten acted as her double and stood in for her in most of the killing scenes. It's him wearing a wig in the scenes where Kenny and Judy are killed. His hands are used in most of the shots of only Angela's hands, again to hide the killer's identity.
- Willy Kuskin, whose character is bullied, was a victim of bullying in real life, as a result, Frank Trent Saladino had to intervene when the other members took things too far.
- Uncredited Role: The man who stood in for Felissa Rose has remained anonymous. This is because of the backstory behind the scene. The actor had to do the role due to parental complaints from Felissa Rose's mother. They had to make a mask of Felissa Rose's face and he was paid a few hundred dollars to stand, completely naked, wearing only a teenage girl mask, on the beach during the cold night. The poor guy had several beers before the scene so he would do it without changing his mind and he was crying before filming.
- What Could Have Been:
- Jane Krakowski almost played Judy, but had problems with the way she would die.
- A shot of Judy after she's killed with the curling iron was cut by the censors for being far too graphic.
- Ricky originally died when Mel beat him at the end. Only during shooting did Robert Hiltzik decide to film Ricky showing signs of survival.
- Felissa Rose was originally going to do the end scene wearing a prosthetic penis. They eventually decided to achieve the shot with a boy wearing a cast of Felissa's face.
Trivia / Sleepaway Camp