- Actor-Inspired Element: According to David Caves, Jack Hodgson was originally written to be from the North of England, but when he auditioned for the part, they liked his performance with his native Northern Irish accent and so re-wrote Jack to be from there as well.
- Disabled Character, Disabled Actor: Both Liz Carr and her character, Clarissa Mullery, use a wheelchair.
- Jossed: The fan theory that Amanda Burton's character Sam Ryan would reappear for the show's 20th series. Leo Dalton appears in flashback form in the final episode, though.
- McLeaned: Leo Dalton is Killed Off for Real due to William Gaminara wanting to move onto to other things.
- Too Soon: "And Then I Fell In Love", a story planned for Season 15, was delayed as it was too close to a very-high-profile case undergoing trial involving a child sex ring in Rochdale, to the point of potentially prejudicing it. The case has now concluded, but the story had a long delay and was finally rescheduled to air several months after originally planned.
- This was avoided for the story "Sniper's Nest", which features a sniper on a killing spree, and aired only hours after the Charlie Hebdo shooting in Paris, prompting some criticism as a result.
- You Look Familiar: Ruth Gemmell had a main role in Series 1 as DC Kerry Cox. Years later, she returned to the show playing Ellie Brooks in the Series 17 story "Undertone".
Trivia / Silent Witness