- Blooper: Moriarty is seen without his hat for a few seconds before telling Sherlock he is a pie about town, when he is supposed to not have his hat in the next scene. According to character designer and animator Gary Dunn, this was apparently due to an error in the rendering process which switched the model of Moriarty with his hat to the hatless one.
- Channel Hop: Due to the division being quietly retired, Touchstone Pictures didn't produce the film, nor did Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures distribute; it was distributed by Paramount Pictures and produced by MGM instead. While animation was still active in Canada, Starz Animation (then Arc Productions, now Jam Filled Toronto) didn't helm the project; Mikros Image, located in Montreal, Quebec, took its role.
- Dawn of an Era: First time MGM produced a mainstream animated film since Igor, which was released a decade earlier.
- Duelling Movies: Rivals with Columbia Pictures' Holmes & Watson, starring Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, which also features Sherlock Holmes. Both movies were critically panned, though Sherlock Gnomes is at least a little better than Holmes and Watson.
- Fake Brit: American Johnny Depp as titular British detective Sherlock Gnomes, while an actual list of British voice actors are in this movie.
- Marth Debuted in "Smash Bros.": In Japan, Gnomeo & Juliet was never released. Despite this, Sherlock Gnomes was released Direct to Video in Japan, leading the appearance of the characters from Gnomeo and Juliet to be the first time they showed up in Japan. Whatís even more confusing is that the reference to the former movie in the opening scene was kept in the Japanese dub despite the film in question not being dubbed.
- Missing Trailer Scene: Several, including a Sherlock pun and, mercifully, a fart joke involving Mankini.
- Not Screened for Critics: Rotten Tomatoes didn't register a score until the day of its release. It went about as well as you'd expect, landing a measly 27% on the Tomatometer.
- Permanent Placeholder: Jamie Demetriou was originally the scratch voice for Moriarty, but did such a great job that he actually got the role.
- Referenced by...: John Mulaney & The Sack Lunch Bunch mentions the movie by name twice.
- Sequel Gap: Released 7 years after Gnomeo & Juliet, a notably long gap for what is intended to be an Immediate Sequel.
- Typecasting: Johnny Depp's portrayal of Sherlock Gnomes is not entirely out of place in his usual array of eccentric yet brilliant individuals.
- What Could Have Been:
- Watson was originally going to be voiced by Tim Curry, but he dropped out of the project due to health issues.
- Moriarty was supposed to be a mascot for Little Boy Blue Ice Cream, but the studio rejected the design.
- Reggie and Ronnie originally started out as one gargoyle named Grimesby who didnít speak, then eventually, they became two female gargoyles who did speak before becoming male. For some reason, the novelization refers to Ronnie as female several times.
- According to Andy Riley, who wrote the story of the film, there was supposed to be a mid-credits scene where Moriarty washes up at a seaside resort and is put into a humiliating position at an amusement arcade or a golf course.
- Wordof God: According to Gary Dunn, the Head of Story came up with the fact that the Moriartyís Pies goobarb pies consist of a mixture of both gooseberries and rhubarb.
- Working Title: Originally known as Gnomeo & Juliet: Sherlock Gnomes before shortened to just Sherlock Gnomes.
Trivia / Sherlock Gnomes