- Big Name Fan: One of the films defenders is none other than Martin Scorsese.
- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $1.4 million. Box office, $115,103.
- Creator Killer: Bobcat Goldthwait had to wait 15 years before he could be able to write and direct another feature film.
- Harpo Does Something Funny: Quite a bit of the clown dialogues were done on the spot by the actors themselves. Bobcat even says that every line that La Wanda Page spoke, including the infamous "He's gonna fuck that little dog", was entirely unscripted.
- The detectives pre-scene lines and topics during their car stakeouts were entirely thought out by the actors themselves.
- Playing Against Type: Seriously, where else would you see Tom Kenny playing a psychopath? (Though since this was long before he was an established actor, it could count as Early Installment Weirdness).
- Real-Life Relative: Bobcat Goldthwait's daughter Tasha Goldthwait appears as the little girl playing on the lawn around the sprinkler.
- Those Two Actors: Bobcat Goldthwait and Tom Kenny were formerly the comedy duo "Bobcat and Tomcat."
- What Could Have Been: Colin Quinn was in the running to play Stenchy, but when he found out he had to wear a dress, he turned it down.
- Write What You Know: Bobcat wrote the chunk of the film as a bit of a metaphor about stand-up comedians. The clown bar in general was based on an actual bar he went to where comedians hung out, which he called "just as depressing and hostile" as the one in the film.
Trivia / Shakes the Clown