- Dude, Not Funny!: Best Buy's twitter cracked a joke about Serial. Repeat: A joke about a teenage girl being murdered, supposedly in their own parking lot. It was not received well.
- Technology Marches On: Because the murder happened in 1999, some technological evidence that would have been easy to access in 2014 isn't available. For example:
- Cell phones not being widely available to teens at the time, Adnan and Hae Min used mostly pagers to contact each other.
- Adnan's cell phone records could only identify outgoing calls, the incomings were only timestamped without Caller ID.
- The Best Buy parking lot had no security cameras, or if it did, they would have recorded onto VHS tapes to be re-used every week.
- The presence or absence of a payphone at Best Buy circa 1999 becomes relevant.
Trivia / Serial