- Actor-Shared Background: Eilis Lacey from Brooklyn is the only Irish character she has played to this day.
- Beauty Inversion: Downplayed but she opted not to hide her acne in Lady Bird at the request of director Greta Gerwig.
- Contractual Purity: Her parents would only allow her to play Susie in The Lovely Bones if the book's graphic rape scene wasn't included in the film. Besides that, she has never had much of a family friendly image, shockingly enough. Films like I Could Never Be Your Woman, Atonement, The Way Back and Hanna helped avoid this. The only remotely family friendly project she did as a child star was City of Ember.
- Dyeing for Your Art: She's a redhead in Byzantium, The Host and Mary, Queen of Scots (2018), and light blonde in How I Live Now.
- Fake Nationality: Her specialty. Saoirse has played English, Scottish, Polish and Finnish characters. Her role as Agatha in The Grand Budapest Hotel is the first time she's used her real accent in a film (although her character is actually a citizen of a fictional Central European country). She finally got to play an Irish character in Brooklyn - but still using a different accent to her natural one.
- Fake American: Most of her roles. She could do the accent flawlessly in her first film at age twelve - I Could Never Be Your Woman. Technically she's originally from New York City, but she grew up in Ireland so her accent is a Dublin one.
- Playing Against Type:
- Playing Gertrude: In The Lovely Bones Rose McIver plays her younger sister Lindsay but is six years older than her in real life. This does get justified as Saoirse eternally plays Suzie at fourteen, while Rose plays Lindsay across several years into adulthood.
- Production Posse: Joe Wright directed her in Atonement and Hanna.
- Star-Making Role: Briony Tallis in Atonement.
- Throw It In!: Lady Bird saw her and Beanie Feldstein wearing the same nail polish by coincidence one day. So the filmmakers decided they would wear matching nail polish for the rest of the film.
- What Could Have Been: She could've become a blockbuster actress, but didn't get a number of roles when auditioning, or simply turned them down.
- Auditioned for the role of Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter, which went to Evanna Lynch.
- Turned down the role of Lyra in The Golden Compass because she didn't want such a long-term commitment to a project. Her fears turned out to be unfounded anyway, as the film wasn't successful enough to warrant a full trilogy.
- Auditioned for the part of Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games. It went to Jennifer Lawrence.
- She had to turn down the part of Tauriel in The Hobbit because of other commitments, the role went to Evangeline Lilly eventually. She was also in talks to play Itaril but when she backed out, the character was ultimately cut from the film.
- She was very nearly reunited with Keira Knightley for Anna Karenina but couldn't do it.
- She auditioned for Rey in The Force Awakens. The role went to Daisy Ridley.
- It's rumored she was up for the role of Scarlet Witch in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which ended up going to Elizabeth Olsen.
- She was always the first actress in mind for Eilis in Brooklyn but was thought to be too young when the project was first greenlit - and Rooney Mara was the original choice for Eilis. By the time the film actually got made, Saoirse was now old enough to play her.
Trivia / Saoirse Ronan