- Development Gag: In the mission Victory Imports Auto Garage, there is an arcade game in the waiting room called SWAT: Urban Justice. This was the title of the initial sequel planned for SWAT 3, before it was cancelled.
- Dummied Out: Code and assets exist for doors rigged with traps, similar to SWAT 3. A Game Mod, Elite Force, reactivates this feature.
- The Other Darrin: While most of the main voice cast reprised their roles in The Stetchkov Syndicate, the TOC operator and the player character "Lead" are voiced by new actors.
- What Could Have Been:
- Sometime in late 2005 and early 2006, Irrational Games used the existing SWAT 4 engine and assets as a proof-of-concept basis for their next game project, preemptively titled Division 9. It was supposed to be a Survival Horror shooter with a squad-based nature (much like SWAT 4) and set in a noirish city after a mysterious Zombie Apocalypse. The project was eventually scrapped in favour of concentrating on BioShock. Three years later, Valve published a game with the same basic idea.
- SWAT 4 was initially SWAT: Urban Justice, set in LA during an all out war with the police against 3 criminal street gangs, it would feature full on character customization including female operatives. After the initial reveal, the game fell into Development Hell and was eventually cancelled in favor of Irrational's game.
Trivia / SWAT 4