- The Cast Showoff: During the scene where Maggie drives through the town square and sees Ike playing slide guitar with some "locals", Richard Gere not only played the guitar for real but he wrote the part he was playing.
- Development Hell: The film was in this state for about a decade. Several other actors were considered for the three main roles. Women considered for the role of Maggie included Lorraine Bracco, Sandra Bullock, Geena Davis, Ellen DeGeneres, Anjelica Huston, Téa Leoni, Demi Moore, and Mary Steenburgen. Men considered for the role of Ike included Michael Douglas, Harrison Ford, Mel Gibson, Christopher Walken, and Ben Affleck.
- Reality Subtext: In Real Life, Julia Roberts canceled her own wedding to Kiefer Sutherland only a few days before the ceremony in 1991.
- Real-Life Relative: In the scene where Maggie runs through the room filled with little children, the baby being held by the woman to her left is Garry Marshall's granddaughter. His daughter, Kathleen, plays "Cousin Cindy" in this movie.
- Those Two Actors: Richard Gere and Julia Roberts started together in Pretty Woman.
- Throw It In!: The "platypus" face that Julia Roberts makes was added after Garry Marshall saw her making that face to entertain his grandchildren.
Trivia / Runaway Bride