- Box Office Bomb: Budget: $8 million, Box office: $6,770,587
- Completely Different Title:
- Denmark: Death Runs Wild
- Hungary: Killing Robots
- Japan: Future Police
- Mexico, Peru and Portugal: Out of Control
- Russia: Robot Hunt
- Slovenia: The Cobweb of Death
- Taiwan: Thunderbolt
- Dueling Movies: With a multi-million dollar budget, one of the biggest actors at the time and written/directed by a science-fiction legend, this film was projected to be the major sci-fi film of late 1984 and the definitive "Renegade Robot" movie. Instead, it got overshadowed by a B-movie about a robot assassin played by an Austrian bodybuilder who barely spoke English, co-starring alongside actors who only had theatre experience, and written/directed by an unknown (whose last film credit was Piranha Part Two: The Spawning).
- The Foreign Subtitle:
- Germany: Runaway: Spinning Death
- Brazil: Runaway: Out of Control
- France: Runaway: Escape from the Future
- Greece: Runaway: Special Pursuit Team
- Spain: Runaway: Special Brigade
- Life Imitates Art: While things like tracking bullets and killer robots are still fictional or in development stages, the movie did predict the increased usage of drones and tablet computers.
- Technology Marches On: Computers are hardware rather than software-oriented; the MacGuffin is a set of phototemplates used to mass-produce microprocessors, when millennials would expect a flash drive. Luther uses a mobile phone so he can't be traced, and the police are stymied rather than triangulating him via cell towers. Ironically the Everything Is Online trope is averted because of this, with Luther having to enter the police station to break into their computers, though he does tap (not 'hack') into the CCTV cameras.
Trivia / Runaway