- Actor-Inspired Element: When Joan Allen came on board, the role of Nancy was expanded considerably.
- Award Category Fraud: Jacob Tremblay was nominated for Best Supporting Actor by the SAG Awards, despite the fact that he appears in almost every scene, and has more screen time than Brie Larson.
- Beauty Inversion: Brie Larson wore no make-up throughout filming and even stopped washing her face to emphasise the fact.
- California Doubling: Although the movie is set in Akron, Ohio, most of it was filmed in Toronto. During one scene at the hospital after Ma is rescued, the Prince Edward Viaduct and the Don Valley Parkway can be seen out the window in the background, and the rink at Nathan Phillips Square in front of Toronto City Hall was depicted in a brief scene where Ma takes Jack skating.
- Dawson Casting: Jacob Tremblay, who plays 5-year-old Jack, was actually 8 when the movie was shot (November-December 2014).
- Deleted Role: Megan Park filmed some scenes as Joy's high school friend, but they were all cut.
- Enforced Method Acting:
- Brie Larson isolated herself for a month without internet and on a strict diet to really understand what Ma and Jack would have gone through. Towards the end of the month, she became depressed and would cry spontaneously.
- Jacob Tremblay could not bring himself to yell at Brie Larson, so the director had the entire cast and crew jump up and down on set yelling until he was able to.
- The film was shot largely in sequence to give Jacob Tremblay a chance to really portray his character growth.
- Name's the Same: No relation to The Room. They even had similar official website URLs.
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay could easily pass for mother and son in real life.
- Star-Making Role:
- For Brie Larson. While she's been around for over a decade, having appeared in films like Hoot and 21 Jump Street, and was part of the cast of United States of Tara, her Oscar-winning role as Ma is going to be remembered as her true breakout role - unless you consider it to be Captain Marvel (2019) instead.
- Jacob Tremblay also got a significant amount of attention following his role in the film.
- Those Two Actors: William H. Macy and Joan Allen play Ma's parents in the film, 17 years after playing a similarly fractured married couple in Pleasantville. They both also appeared in the film Searching for Bobby Fischer.
- What Could Have Been: The lead role was neck and neck between Brie Larson and Shailene Woodley. Both had starred together in The Spectacular Now. Rooney Mara and Emma Watson were also considered.
Trivia / Room