- California Doubling: The film's main setting is in Ithaca, New York; however, the film was shot mostly in Georgia around Atlanta and Athens on the campuses of Georgia Tech, Emory, and the University of Georgia. One of the college tour scenes in particular was shot in Sanford Stadium, with UGA's "G" logo visible on the field.
- Completely Different Title: The Croatian release of this film adds a bit of a pun in the title, calling it Put do zrelosti, which loosely translates to "The Road to Maturity".
- Serbia's release was titled "Freshmen in Trouble".
- Follow the Leader: A strange example - this film came only two years after Overnight Delivery and has a very similar plot, but Overnight Delivery was a direct-to-video release, hardly a big success. If there were a little less space between them it would be Dueling Movies.
- Technology Marches On: It is unlikely a college student would be sending videotapes to his girlfriend by snail mail any more in the days of Skype, smartphone cameras and broadband. Cell phones would also have resolved much of the plot a lot more quickly.
- Unintentional Period Piece: While this applies mostly for the technology-related reasons stated above, the fact that at least two characters are hyped up for what would eventually become Attack of the Clones not only instantly dates this to the start of the 2000s, but even indicates that it was written and filmed before the Hype Backlash for The Phantom Menace had hit full swing.
- What Could Have Been:
Trivia / Road Trip