- Bad Export for You: The film underwent cuts in the UK to obtain a 15 rating (down from an 18). This censored version is also the one on UK DVD and Blu-ray.
- Box Office Bomb: Marks the fourth consecutive film for Jennifer Lawrence that failed to make back its production costs in the US.
- The Cameo: Dominika is seen sitting at a bar with another woman in the hotel. This woman is Jennifer Lawrence's real life best friend Laura Simpson Ternosky.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Jennifer Lawrence spent four months doing ballet training to prepare for the role.
- Executive Meddling: The British censor board ordered some edits to the torture scenes so the film could get a 15 rating.
- Fake American: Joel Edgerton is Australian.
- Fake Russian: Several main characters in the movie adaptation, including:
- Jennifer Lawrence (American) as Dominika Egorova, accordingly approximating a Russian accent for the role.
- Charlotte Rampling (English) as the Headmistress of Sparrow School, who still uses her distinctive British accent.
- Jeremy Irons (English) as General Vladimir Korchnoi.
- Matthias Schoenaerts (Belgian) as Vanya Egurov.
- Follow the Leader: The film was noted to have similarities to other female-led spy thrillers like Salt and Atomic Blonde.
- Production Posse: Francis Lawrence had directed Jennifer Lawrence in the last three of the four films in The Hunger Games franchise.
- Reality Subtext: Jennifer Lawrence noted that there were striking similarities between the sexual nature of the story, and having her private nude photos stolen in the infamous cloud hacks of 2014.
- Separated-at-Birth Casting: Matthias Schoenaerts resembles Vladimir Putin — on whom his character is based — a great deal. This was apparently accidental.
- Talent Double: Isabella Boyton acted as Jennifer Lawrence's dance double. Jennifer did however spend four months training in ballet.
- Troubled Production: Mostly averted, though with a small and amusing note. Jennifer Lawrence, who had previously felt shy towards doing nude scenes in her work, got over her insecurity at this film thanks to the crew's efforts to make feel comfortable while shooting those. The trouble is that she became so casual spending her time on the set nude that she ended up making the cast and crew uncomfortable.
- Wag the Director: Subverted. Jennifer Lawrence was shown an early cut of the movie, and told that if she was uncomfortable with any of the nudity then it would be deleted. She approved all the nude scenes that were filmed.
- What Could Have Been:
- Darren Aronofsky was going to direct the film at one point. David Fincher (with Rooney Mara as the lead) were also in consideration as well.
- At one point the story was going to be relocated to 1970s Budapest in order to give it a 'timeless' feel. When Francis Lawrence came back on board he re-set it in modern times.
Trivia / Red Sparrow