- Casting Gag: Anna Chancellor, who plays Caroline Bingley, is descended from Jane Austen's brother Edward.
- Dawson Casting: Julia Sawalha was a full ten years older than the fifteen-year-old Lydia Bennet.
- Dyeing for Your Art:
- Jennifer Ehle is naturally blonde. Although she wore a wig to play Elizabeth, she still cut her hair short to help it fit under the wig better. This hilariously caused even more problems for the stylists, as little wisps of blonde hair kept escaping from under the wig - and they mused it would have been easier if her hair had been long.
- Colin Firth also dyed his light brown hair a shade of black. This is because producers had always imagined Darcy as dark-haired, despite the book not commenting on hair colour.
- Susannah Harker lightened her hair so that Jane would better contrast to Lizzie.
- Hide Your Pregnancy: Susannah Harker was pregnant during filming, but was able to continue due to the cut of the costumes and some cleverly placed shawls.
- Promoted Fanboy: Jennifer Ehle claims she had literally wanted to be Elizabeth when she first read the book, and lists playing her as one of her favourite roles.
- Real-Life Relative: Joanna David (Mrs Gardiner) and Emilia Fox (Georgiana Darcy) are mother and daughter in real life.
- Romance on the Set: Although people only learned about the romance after it had ended, Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle became romantically involved during the 1995 production.
- Star-Making Role: Colin Firth was a mostly obscure actor in his mid-thirties at the time of filming. Everyone instantly knew who he was afterwards.
Trivia / Pride and Prejudice (1995)