- Actor Allusion: This isn't the first time Mae Whitman played a woman who had a stormy relationship with another woman. Or was connected to a screwed up family.
- Celebrity Voice Actor: Walton Goggins and James Hong have minor roles in the game, as Aaron Ingram and William Yu, respectively.
- The Other Darrin: Presumably because Benedict Wong was busy filming for Avengers: Infinity War during its development, Alex Yu's cameos in the Mooncrash DLC are done with a soundalike.
- Screwed by the Network: For some reason, Bethesda did not distribute review codes for Prey to reviewers and press until 24 hours before the release date. This unfortunately meant that reviews were either delayed or rushed, which gave many people who were on the fence about the game a negative initial impression.
- Throw It In!: The "Reployer" machines that are found around the station started out as an object that nobody in the development team could figure out a plausible use for. As a result, it was nearly cut from the game...until someone suggested turning it into a meta-joke.We almost cut this from the game three times, Colantonio says. I even had a few fights with [Lead Visual Designer] Manu [Petit], telling him I never want to see that thing again until we eventually turned it into a joke and said, What if no one aboard the space station knows what that object is? Lets give it an obscure name like Reployer and lets have people talk about it in emails.
- What Could Have Been:
- Human Head Studios's Prey 2 was originally developed as a direct sequel to the original game with a "Cowboys in Space" vibe, as the player character worked as an intergalactic bounty hunter of sorts. After a fairly impressive debut at E3 2011, the game sank into Development Hell for several years due to disagreements between Human Head and Bethesda over the game's direction, along with a hostile acquisition that Bethesda allegedly attempted on Human Head. The game was officially cancelled in 2014 before the name was given to Arkane for their new sci-fi game.
- Arkane's Prey had a number of features cut during development.
- Early footage showed an oxygen meter while Morgan was in environments with no air, suggesting that the useless (aside from being thrown at the Typhon) O2 tanks present in the final game were intended to refill the suit's oxygen supply.
- Injuries would have caused negative status effects to Morgan, with burns and fractures needing different items to treat properly.
- An AI-powered homing disc rifle (complete with sidequest) was cut for unknown reasons.
- Weapon durability was scrapped in the final game, possibly because the developers feared it would become a Scrappy Mechanic as it had in System Shock 2.
- A later update added an oxygen meter, weapon degradation and negative status effects from injuries as "Survival Mode" options that can be toggled on or off individually when starting a new game.
- The Mooncrash DLC includes weapon degradation and more status effects, but all characters still have unlimited oxygen as long as they keep their suit intact. Except Peter.
Trivia / Prey (2017)