- Actor Allusion: Kurt Russell tells the kid to jump into a curtain so they can catch him. He tells the mother not to worry that he used to be a fireman. Russell played a fireman in Backdraft (1991).
- This isn't the first time Richard Dreyus portrayed a character whose boat capsizes and he is one of the survivors.
- Creator Killer: For Wolfgang Petersen. Despite his track record before Poseidon, he wouldn't direct another movie for a decade, and he ended up leaving Hollywood and going back to Germany for his next film.
- The Danza: Richard Dreyfuss as Richard Nelson.
- Money, Dear Boy: Richard Dreyfuss's major reason for doing the film:[T]hey offered like a lot of money and I love money and didn't have a lot and I thought this is a good way of doing this.
- Retroactive Recognition: Who knew that Captain Holt was a different kind of Captain before joining the 99th Precinct?
- Star-Derailing Role: The film also helped ruined Josh Lucas's budding leading man career, where that and along with Stealth the previous year, pretty much dimmed his hopes at major stardom.
- Sometimes assumed to have done the same for Dreyfuss too, but as the above-linked interview shows he had been planning to semi-retire anyway (and that wasn't permanent, either). Almost every cast member suffered injuries during filming too, with Lucas' thumb almost getting taken off at one point.
- Troubled Production: Supposedly every day started with Josh Lucas, Kurt Russell, and Richard Dreyfuss pow-wowing over what the hell they were going to do that day, because the script sure didn't tell them.
Trivia / Poseidon