- Awesome, Dear Boy: Chow Yun-fat had this reaction to his role as Sao Feng. He frequently worked with the crew on set to get into character as a ship's captain.
- Billing Displacement: Sao Feng appears far less than the advertising would indicate. While he plays a significant role, he's killed off halfway through the film, leaving Elizabeth to take his place at the pirate council.
- Creator Backlash: Keira Knightley claimed that she's never seen the film and has no plans to do so.
- Deleted Scene:
- One lengthy sequence showing Governor Swann learning about Davy Jones' heart. Swann wouldve attempted to stab Joness heart after one taunt too many, and Jones would gleefully explain the cost of doing so, and convincing Swann to stand down. This scene appeared in the novelization, and most of it was completed bar most of the effects on Jones, suggesting it was cut rather late in development.
- An extended conversation between Jack and Beckett, where it would be revealed that Beckett had contracted Jack to ferry some cargo—which turned out to be slaves. When Jack freed them, Beckett responded by branding him and sinking the Black Pearl. This explains why Jack had to raise the Pearl from the depths in the first place.
- Permanent Placeholder: The nine Pirate Lords use the "Nine Pieces of Eight" to demonstrate their position as pirate lords. The "Pieces of Eight" are really random bits of things the previous Pirate Lords had when they bound Calypso in human form. It is Lampshaded that the pirates aren't very creative when it comes to naming things.
- Shrug of God: The creators flip-flopped regarding Will Turner's final fate. The ending left it vague whether, after serving his 10 years replacing Davy Jones, Will was freed from the curse or not. The fifth film, Dead Man Tells No Tales will have Will still as the Psychopomp, and his son now teenage-aged.
- Throw It In!: On the DVD Commentary for the second film, Johnny Depp joked that Barbossa's first name was Hector. Filmmakers had not planned to give him a first name, but fans took it as canon so they made it so in this - making it Ascended Fanon too.
- What Could Have Been:
- The film originally ran three hours, but twenty minutes were cut. Word of God is that the extra footage served as better build-up for the final battle.
- The novelisation has a few differences from the finished film. Namely Bootstrap Bill doesn't appear at all, and Governor Swan and James Norrington don't die. There's also no mention of the multiple Jacks trying to run the Pearl in Davy Jones' Locker.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: Filming started without a finished script.
- You Look Familiar: Reggie Lee plays one of Sao Feng's crew. He had previously played one of Davy Jones' crew in the second film. He appears as the same character during the final battle.
Trivia / Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End