- Approval of God: J. Michael Straczynski stated on Twitter that he enjoyed Phelous' retrospective videos on The Real Ghostbusters.
- Ascended Fanon: For years, IMDb has listed Phelous's show as Phelous and the Movies, which he has been using jokingly in his references... until his Beauty and the Beast review where it's actually a thing now.
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!:
- Phelous has made famous the Old Man phrase that wet objects are "completely useless now". The old man actually refers to two different objects as "useless" and "good for nothing now".
- The line ".....for you." usually stated by Wabuu in later Phelous episodes comes from the Grumpy bear's line "I really don't think that my supply will last long....for you" in Countryside Bears and was first put into Wabuu's mouth later in that episode, making fun of the particularly bad dubbing lip sync in the movie.
- Creator Backlash: More so than others, this was his reaction to #ChangeTheChannel revealing that Justin Carmichal was a sexual groomer and rapist. Whereas Kaylyn Saucedo and Lewis Lovhaug merely edited the description of videos they did to say they no longer reflect their views of Carmichal, and Lovhaug and Bennett White got rid of the Wario hats they kept in memory of Carmichal, Phelan flat out reedited his Pulse (2006) review (which was done when Carmichal was alive) to remove Carmichal from them and replaced him with Benzaie.
- Dear Negative Reader: Shortly after almost every review, he screencaps critical or insulting comments left on his videos and mocks them on his Twitter account. He tends to do this a lot, as seen when during 2016 when films like Lights Out (2016) came out.
- Meaningful Release Date: The review of the "girl power" episode of Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm came out on International Women's Day.
- Milestone Celebration:
- In celebration of his 100th review, Phelous took a look at Croc, which had the same director as the subject of his first review Mac and Me. After getting a string of cameos complaining how lame the review was, Phelous decided to make his next review of House of Wax (2005) the real 100th episode, complete with a cavalcade of his former Channel Awesome co-stars cheering for the death of Paris Hilton's character.
- His 200th review was an April Fools' Day episode where he reviewed his old Mac and Me review. Phelous took to opportunity to show how far he's come as a reviewer by tearing apart his first episode, and pointing out how amateur and unfunny it was.
- His 50th Bootleg Zones video had him revisit the Turtles Fighters figures, the first bootlegs he ever covered on the show. For the 100th episode, Phelous reviewed the TMNT knock-off line "Our Friend Power 5", the only bootleg toys he's ever found to have their own tie-in movie.
- Missing Episode: A few of his re-edited videos are unlisted on YouTube, making them difficult to find without checking his official site or finding a playlist made by other YouTubers.
- Name's the Same: In his belated April Fool's Day episode of Army of Darkness, he jokes that the movie continues Ash's journey to become a Pokemon master.
- Old Shame:
- After leaving Channel Awesome, Phelous described To Boldly Flee as "The worst movie in the universe", claiming that the film's attempts at being "serious" while also balancing the comedy didn't work well and criticizing its lifting of scenes wholesale from other movies. Phelous also claimed that some people on the site were gossiping about him "half-assing" the effects that he was contracted to do for the film, and sent Welshy to spy on him to ensure that he was doing a good job (which Welshy ended up not doing due to being close friends with Phelous). His earlier commentary of the film consisted of himself, Allison Pregler and Brad Jones making fun of it.
- For April Fool's Day, Phelous did a review of his Mac and Me review. In it, he criticized himself for his poor delivery, bad jokes, and weak critiques.
- Talking to Himself: Taken to the point where he doesn't even really try to pretend he's playing two different characters, just two different Phelouses talking to each other. For example, he reveals at the end of Pulse 2 that he was really an "Internet TV Distortion Ghost" all along so he doesn't have to review Pulse 3. Another Phelous dressed as a Ghostbuster bursts into the room and zaps the ghost before taking over the review.
- Trolling Creator:
- His Jacob's Ladder review was so convincing that fans actually believed that Phelan was quitting making reviews. His apparent silence in-between this and the next review didn't help matters.
- The "Top 10 Phelous Moments of 2012" is essentially him praising the hell out of his controversial videos and mocking the ones that most people liked.
Trivia / Phelous