- California Doubling: Although supposedly set partly at a small airport in Louisiana, filming took place in Wesley Snipes' hometown of Orlando, Florida, with Orlando-Sanford International Airport standing in for "Lake Lucille" airport in Louisiana.
- Cast the Expert: The captain of the flight (who is killed by Rane during the takeover) is played by the actual chief pilot for Rich International Airlines, the airline which provided the aircraft used for exterior shots.
- Distanced from Current Events: The film was scheduled to air on a Starz Entertainment Group channel the night of 9/11. What with the themes of terrorism on an airplane, the broadcast was obviously cancelled.
- No Stunt Double: There were no stunt doubles used for the final fight between Cutter and Rane. Wesley Snipes and Bruce Payne insisted to do the scene themselves despite the protests of the producers, but director Kevin Hooks insisted, as well.
- Real-Life Relative: Robert Hooks, who plays Dwight Henderson, is the father of director Kevin Hooks.
- Serendipity Writes the Plot: The original draft of the screenplay set the action at night; it was changed to a daylight story setting to save money.
- Stunt Casting: Bruce Greenwood shows up for a few scenes as the CEO of Atlantic International Airlines.
- What Could Have Been: The film was originally a vehicle for Sylvester Stallone, but he turned it down. However, just for fun, the script writer named one of the major characters, "Sly".
Trivia / Passenger 57