- Ability over Appearance: Shelly was written to be Native-American but Caucasian Cynthia Geary ended up getting the part.
- California Doubling: Alaska, I mean um, Washington state, sure is beautiful.
- Clumsy Copyright Censorship: The first season was released to DVD with all of its music intact, but it wound up retailing for $60 due to the cost of licensing. As a result, Universal chose to replace much of the music in the remaining seasons with generic muzak to keep the costs down.
- The Danza: Adam Arkin as Adam.
- Friday Night Death Slot: The "burn off episodes in the summer" variety. The show both started and ended this way, with its first season airing entirely in the summer, and the last few episodes of its final season being held back from May sweeps and aired in June and July, presumably because the ratings dropped precipitously after Rob Morrow's departure.
- Real-Life Relative: Marilyn's mother is played by Armenia Miles, the real-life mother of Elaine Miles. Interestingly, Elaine never auditioned for the show but was offered the part when she accompanied her mother to her audition.
Trivia / Northern Exposure