- Acting for Two:
- In the sequel, Robin Williams returns to his role as Teddy Roosevelt. He also plays a Teddy Roosevelt statue and Teddy Roosevelt hologram.
- Hank Azaria plays the Big Bad (Kahmunrah), the Thinker, and Abraham Lincoln.
- The same monkey (a female named Crystal) plays both Dexter and Able.
- In the third movie, Ben Stiller adds a second character in Laa, the caveman designed to look like Larry.
- Actor-Shared Background: In the third film Larry mentions he is half Jewish and half Irish just like his actor Ben Stiller.
- All-Star Cast: Much like National Treasure, it's quite surprising to see all the big name stars, including Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, Bill Cobbs, Paul Rudd, Ricky Gervais, Carla Gugino, Steve Coogan and Owen Wilson.
- Billing Displacement: Craig Robinson is listed as one of the major actors in the credits, even though he only appeared for approx. 5 minutes.
- The Cast Showoff: Dick Van Dyke gets to bust a few dance moves at the start of his cameo in the third film.
- The Other Darrin: Nick was played by Jake Cherry in the first two films, but then by Skylar Gisondo (who looks nothing like Cherry) in the third. It seems the movie is attempting a timeshifted actor, but both actors are of the same age.
- Playing Against Type:
- First of all. Dick van Dyke is one of the Big Bads in the first movie.
- Ben Stiller's playing the main role in a couple of children's films here? Yeah..
- Don't forget Mickey Rooney!
- What Could Have Been: An early draft of Battle of the Smithsonian had Ahkmenrah traveling to the Smithsonian with the others instead of being Demoted to Extra.
Trivia / Night at the Museum