- Development Hell: The last version, 3.6.0, took 12 years to come out. During that time, the source code for additions they did wasn't available because it is developed under the "cathedral model" of open source development where the development source code is not put up for public access. Source code advertising itself as version 3.5 or 3.4.4 was leaked, though.
- Fan Nickname: Vladsbane, for whatever underpowered/corroded joke weapon some players use to kill Vlad. Rodney for the Wizard of Yendor.
- Long Runner: The game began as a more sophisticated version of Rogue, named Hack. It gained the "Net" part of its name when various contributors from around Usenet began adding their own features to the source code base. If you've ever seen the source code, you know it looks like something that's been edited by committee.
- Port Overdosed: The game has been ported to almost anything that's Turing-complete.
- Unintentional Period Piece: Look at the Shout-Out list on the main page. Was this made in the 80s or what?
- The Wiki Rule: There's one here.
Trivia / NetHack