- California Doubling: The movie is set in Pennsylvania but was almost entirely shot in Florida.
- Billing Displacement: Macaulay Culkin's presence in the movie was hyped up after the success of Home Alone. In reality, it's Small Role, Big Impact. In contrast the then unknown Anna Chlumsky gets billed fourth in the credits (below Dan Aykroyd, Jamie Lee Curtis and Culkin.)
- Executive Meddling: The film came close to getting a PG-13 rating due to the fact that a funeral home and a character death feature prominently. After an appeal, it was changed to PG.
- Real-Life Relative: Anna Chlumsky's mother Nancy L. Chlumsky plays a small role as Jackie.
- What Could Have Been:
- Hundreds of angry fans protested against Thomas J's death trying to get the filmmakers to remove it. They didn't.
- Chevy Chase was the first choice for the role of Harry. He wasn't sure, since he hadn't much experience in dramatic roles - and Dan Aykroyd was suggested after his performance in Driving Miss Daisy. Steve Martin and Bill Murray were also considered.
- Working Title: The film's working title was Born Jaundiced but it went through a number of possible names - mostly puns relating to the funeral home setting.
Trivia / My Girl