- Actor Allusion:
Ernie: You should be our spokesperson. I know some people who used a mouse as a spokesperson, and it seemed to work out pretty well.
- Ernie, played by Nathan Lane, says "Hakuna Matata" to a vaguely ethnic foreigner at the auction. Lane voices Timon in The Lion King movies. Pumbaa himself, Ernie Sabella, plays the technician at the pound.
This is Nathan Lane. You loved him in The Birdcage.
- A very blunt one in the trailer:
- Breakaway Pop Hit: The film's original score, specifically its main title, has found extensive use outside the context of the film, being used in movie trailers, TV commercials, as well as other films.
- Fake American: British Lee Evans as Lars.
- Fake Nationality: Debra Christofferson and Camilla Søeberg as the Belgian hair models Ingrid and Hilde.
- Missing Trailer Scene: Lampshaded in the film's offbeat trailer:"These are the cha-cha twins.note They are not in Mouse Hunt. Tell your friends."
- Also, most of the footage from the first teaser with the mouse doing shadow puppets.
- What Could Have Been: The film was originally just going to be another Home Alone clone and be set in The Present Day. Gore Verbinski decided to go for a Retro Universe aesthetic, much to the studio's chagrin.
- Fan Nickname: