- Acting for Two:
- Dan Pesina returns as both Johnny Cage and the male ninjas once again.
- Richard Divizio plays Kano and Baraka (the former being a background cameo).
- Katalin Zamiar plays the role of the female ninjas (all palette swaps).
- The Cast Showoff: Like in the first game, Liu Kang's non-fatal Fatality was one of Ho-Sung Pak's trademark moves.
- Defictionalization: Although not particularly popular, "Kitana" has become a real baby name for girls. note
- Development Gag:
- In one of his Fatalities, Liu Kang turns into a dragon that resembles the logo of the series.
- Johnny Cage has a "triple" decapitation Fatality that worked like the regular one, only instead of one head, Cage knocks off three. This Fatality references a glitch in the original Mortal Kombat where Johnny could knock off multiple heads with his Fatality.
- Name's the Same: One of the stages is named after, but has nothing to do with, a Dirty Harry film or a Marvel character.
- Romance on the Set: Ho-Sung Pak (Liu Kang) and Katalin Zamiar (Kitana) dated while working on the game together; this is part of the reason why their characters became lovers in later games and movies.
- Serendipity Writes the Plot: In order to save time on the costume and makeup, Shang Tsung was written as gaining his youthful appearance back for this game.
- Trolling Creator:
- The test menu for the Arcade version has a counter for "Kano Transformations". The counter is believed to be there just to stir up rumors. This was later referenced in Mortal Kombat 3 with Nightwolf's Friendship, in which he transforms into Raiden with a Mortal Kombat II machine dropping behind him, with one of the sentences saying, "I've Never Seen a Kano Transformation".
- Occasionally, when Smoke or Jade appear to offer hints to unlock their secret battles, they'll tease the possibility of Ermac showing up in the game. At this point in the series, Ermac was still nothing more than an Urban Legend of Zelda, though one of the decoded messages in the ending translates to "Ermac does not exist."
- Urban Legend of Zelda: Too many to count, many of which would become Ascended Memes:
- Animalities were rumored to be in this game. They became a reality in MK3.
- You could supposedly unlock Sonya, Kano, and a character called Ermac. Sonya and Kano would return to the playable cast in MK3, while Ermac would become an actual character in Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3.
- Green Liu Kang, a.k.a. "Hornbuckle", and Blaze are the guys you see fighting in the background of The Pit II.
- There were rumors that you could trigger a stage fatality in The Forest stage that would have one of the trees devour your opponent; this became a reality in Mortal Kombat 9.
- What Could Have Been:
- Jax's original name was going to be Kurtis Stryker.
- There were plans to have a character with hooked swords. Due to hardware limitations, he was modified to become Baraka. The design was modified again for MK3, which gave us Kabal.
- Kintaro was originally planned to be both an anthropomorphic tiger and a playable character. Due to budget constraints, the developers made him a clone of Goro with tiger stripes instead.
- Noob Saibot may have been another female ninja at one point, as there's a Dummied Out sprite in the game with black clothing that is associated with his move commands.
- Some removed sprites in the games files suggest that Sub-Zero was going to have an airborne ice attack.
Trivia / Mortal Kombat II