- Actor-Shared Background: Laura Allen attended Wellesley and graduated with a sociology major.
- Dyeing for Your Art:
- Kirsten Dunst, a natural blonde, darkened her hair to brown.
- Julia Stiles, a natural brunette, lightened her hair to blonde.
- Enforced Method Acting: All the actresses had to go through two weeks of finishing school to prepare for their roles.
- Fake American: Like so many of his other roles, Dominic West is British playing an American.
- Retroactive Recognition: Ginnifer Goodwin has a small role as Connie in only her second film. Krysten Ritter - who would later achieve fame as the eponymous Jessica Jones (2015) - and Lily Rabe - of American Horror Story fame - are extras in the art history class.
- What Could Have Been: Chloe Sevigny was considered for the role of Giselle, but was reeling from the backlash of The Brown Bunny - where she performed un-simulated fellatio on screen.
Trivia / Mona Lisa Smile