- Shown Their Work: The outdoor crash-site set was so convincing that pilots on approach to Toronto International Airport were radioing in what they thought was a recent crash.
This is the last genre series on FOX to last for more than two seasons.
- Development Hell: The creators have expressed interest in doing a movie following The X-Files: I Want to Believe, but details are sparse.
- The Other Darrin: The Polaroid Man (credited as "The Figure") was played by Paul Raskin in "Paper Dove". In the next episode Doug Hutchison, known to the producers for playing Eugene Victor Tooms on The X-Files, took over the role.
- Real-Life Relative: A funny retroactive example, as Jeff Yagher, the actor playing the actor playing Frank in "Thirteen Years Later" would later marry Megan Gallagher, who had played (the actual) Catherine Black.
- What Could Have Been: Lance Henriksen had always been Chris Carter's first choice to play Frank Black, but Fox wanted William Hurt. Neither actor was interested in doing a TV show at that point, but Carter's emotional plea to Henriksen and the quality of the pilot script sold him.