- B-Team Sequel: The fact that Hideo Kojima did not have a hand in the game permeates all of its aspects.
- Follow the Leader: It's been accused of latching on to the popularity of both survival-crafting games and zombie horror games and bolting them onto a Metal Gear game, with strong resemblance to Fortnite.
- Franchise Killer: Though not really outright stated, the venomous reaction from fans (as well as former Konami devs who were working on Kojima Productions) to Konami and the reportedly low sale of the game grinds the Metal Gear name to a halt, with subsequent releases from the series being only re-releases.
- God Does Not Own This World: Kojima confirmed at Tokyo Game Show 2016 that he's not involved with the development of Metal Gear Survive. Yoji Shinkawa, the former primary character and mechanical designer of the Metal Gear series, also denied having any involvement with the game at the same event.
- What Could Have Been: Despite Kojima bemoaning Survive and completely disowning it, he's toyed around with the idea of making a zombie game of his own at least twice — once back in 2007, which he envisioned as some sort of MMO where zombified players were Forced to Watch their zombie self kill other players if they died, and again in 2013 when he asked PlatinumGames if it was feasible to make a Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance sequel where Gray Fox fights nanomachine zombies. There's also "zombies" of the Technically Living type in MGS4 and MGSV with the nanomachine-overloaded PMC mercs and the Skulls, respectively. Had Konami and Kojima's relations not soured over the course of MGSV's development, Survive could've very well been a game he directed, given his interest in the genre.
- Writer Revolt: Within a week of the game's release, players discovered a hidden message in the game's first cutscene calling out Konami for their infamous mishandling of the Metal Gear franchise and mistreatment of Kojima. On a list of MSF operatives beginning with "Vengeful Mosquito"note the first letters of the second word in each codename reveals that "MG"note is listed as "KIA", with the following ten letters spelling out "KJP FOREVER".note The last two codenames in the list are the AWOL soldiers "Bastard Yota" and "Cunning Yuji"note — respectively referring to Survive director Yota Tsutsumizaki and producer Yuji Korekado, both Metal Gear veterans who stayed on with Konami.
Trivia / Metal Gear Survive