- B-Team Sequel: The fact that Hideo Kojima did not have a hand in the game permeates all of its aspects.
- Fan Nickname:
- "Metal Gear Surviveance", for the game as a whole and its status as a spin-off.
- "Metal Gear Will Not Survive" and the like. This is due to the dislike of this game and the numerous events that have torn the Konami and Metal Gear fandom apart, as many detractors use these names to mock its title and existence.
- Follow the Leader: It's been accused of latching on to the popularity of both survival-crafting games and zombie horror games and bolting them onto a Metal Gear game, with strong resemblance to Fortnite.
- God Does Not Own This World: Kojima confirmed at Tokyo Game Show 2016 that he's not involved with the development of Metal Gear Survive. Yoji Shinkawa, the former primary character and mechanical designer of the Metal Gear series, also denied having any involvement with the game at the same event.
- Writer Revolt: Within a week of the game's release, players discovered a hidden message in the game's first cutscene calling out Konami for their infamous mishandling of the Metal Gear franchise and mistreatment of Kojima. On a list of MSF operatives beginning with "Vengeful Mosquito"note the first letters of the second word in each codename reveals that "MG"note is listed as "KIA", with the following ten letters spelling out "KJP FOREVER".note The last two codenames in the list are the AWOL soldiers "Bastard Yota" and "Cunning Yuji"note — referring to Yota Tsutsumizaki and Yuji Korekado, the game's director and producer, respectively; both veterans of the Metal Gear franchise who stayed on with Konami.
Trivia / Metal Gear Survive