- Acting for Two:
- All-Star Cast: And how! Jack Nicholson, Michael J. Fox, Jack Nicholson, Sarah Jessica Parker, Pierce Brosnan, Glenn Close, Martin Short, Jim Brown, Annette Bening, Tom Jones, Christina Applegate, Natalie Portman and Danny DeVito!
- Subverted with Jack Black and Ray J, who were mostly unknown at the time.
- Awesome, Dear Boy/Promoted Fanboy: Tim Burton was a fan of the original trading-card series.
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: Despite being used prominently throughout the film's advertising, the phrase "Nice planet. We'll take it!" is never said by anyone during the film.
- Dueling Movies: Came out the same year as Independence Day. It lost. In fact, their initial plan was to do Dinosaurs Attack!note , but they thought it would wind up being associated with Jurassic Park. Oops.
- Executive Meddling: Averted. Burton was told he absolutely could not kill off Jack Nicholson's character, the President. So what does he do? He casts Nicholson in TWO roles and kills off both of them!
- Inspiration for the Work: Tim Burton thought that Mars Attacks! would be the perfect ode to Ed Wood's work after doing a biopic of him 2 years prior.
- The Merch: Trendmasters had two toylines, one based on the movie; the other based on Topps' 90s-era trading-card/comic book series.
- Prop Recycling: Jeff Dunham fans, Achmed the Dead Terrorist's eyes are an old, spare pair of Martian eyes from this movie.
- What Could Have Been:
- Channel Hop: The comic series was published by Topps who briefly had a comic line. It has since been revived by IDW.
- Then a few years later by Dynamite.
- What Could Have Been: At one point, one of the writers of IDW pitched a crossover comic with My Little Pony, as part of the Mars Attacks crossover one-shots. It never got off the ground.