- Box Office Bomb: Maradonia and the Shadow Empire. Budget: Unknown, but it was expensive enough to get the creators evicted from their house. Box office: Unknown, but can safely be assumed to be tiny, as the film was only showed once in one theater.
- Creator Killer: The Troubled Production and financial failure of Maradonia and the Shadow Empire seems to have killed off not only the Maradonia series, but Gloria's entire writing "career" — her website focuses on her modelling, and there's no sign of the "soon to be released" new fantasy book series she's supposedly completed.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes:
- For some reason, the e-book re-releases are no longer available for purchase.
- As it failed to get a DVD release after its premiere, the only way to watch Maradonia and the Shadow Empire is a bootleg screener (complete with a watermark) that someone put online, because it was only shown once in one theather.
- Parody Retcon: Following the release of a book trailer that could charitably be called "amateurish", Gloria Tesch's publicist responded to criticism by classifying the trailer as "obviously comic satire". Nobody bought it.
- Orphaned Series: The last new book to be released was Maradonia and the Law of Blood, all the way back in 2010. The series presumably stalled due to Gloria preferring to focus on The Movie. It seems like the creators ran out of money and gave up on the series after the film's premiere, making the story end on an unresolved cliffhanger. Several other factors point towards the series being cancelled: as of March 2019, the Maradonia websites are down, none of the e-books are available for purchase, the only physical copies for sale are used, and Gloria Tesch's website focuses on her modelling. To make matters worse, Gerry Tesch, Gloria's father and the one person who helped promoting and publishing the series, died in 2018.
- Stillborn Franchise: Maradonia and the Shadow Empire ends with a "Will Return" Caption promising a sequel titled Maradonia and the Escape from the Underworld. Considering that the creators spent almost all their money on Shadow Empire, which didn't even get a DVD release and was presumably a huge net loss, it's very unlikely that Escape from the Underworld will ever get made.
- Troubled Production:
- Dr. Tesch never provided his director Troy Bowman and cinematographer Paulian Morris with a deal or a deal memo. Bowman ended up leaving the project after hours of unpaid prep. Producer Patricia Sofia left after Tesch tried to cut a side deal behind her back to avoid having to pay her. These incidents led to Morris leaving in disgust.
- The Tesches launched an Indiegogo campaign in an attempt to raise funds to continue their work on the movie. It failed miserably, only making 7% of its $20,000 goal... and most of the pledges were from Gloria Tesch herself.
- According to some people who were involved with the production, its "director" Dr. Tesch squandered most of his family's money financing the film, which led to his wife leaving and the Tesches being evicted from their house.
- The planned DVD release never materialized — presumably Dr. Tesch couldn't find any company willing to distribute the movie and couldn't afford to self-publish it.
Trivia / Maradonia Saga