- Box Office Bomb: Maradonia and the Shadow Empire. Budget: Unknown, but it was expensive enough to get the creators evicted from their house. Box office: Unknown, but can safely be assumed to be tiny, as the film was only shown once in one theater.
- Creator Killer: The Troubled Production and financial failure of Maradonia and the Shadow Empire seems to have not only killed off the Maradonia series, but tainted Gloria's reputation to the point where she has evidently given up on itnote and is trying to distance herself from it. She released her next book, The Secret of Moon Lake, under the name Sofia Nova and described it as her debut novel, effectively disowning Maradonia.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes:
- For some reason, the e-book re-releases are no longer available for purchase.
- As it failed to get a DVD release after its premiere, the only way to watch Maradonia and the Shadow Empire is a bootleg screener (complete with a watermark) that someone put online, because it was only shown once in one theater.
- Parody Retcon: Following the release of a book trailer that could charitably be called "amateurish", Gloria Tesch's publicist responded to criticism by classifying the trailer as "obviously comic satire". Nobody bought it.
- Orphaned Series: The last new book to be released was Maradonia and the Law of Blood, all the way back in 2010. The series presumably stalled due to Gloria preferring to focus on The Movie. It seems like the creators ran out of money and gave up on the series after the film's premiere, making the story end on an unresolved cliffhanger. Several other factors point towards the series being cancelled: as of January 2020, the Maradonia websites are down, none of the e-books are available for purchase, the only physical copies for sale are used, and Gloria Tesch's website focuses on her modelling. To make matters worse, Gerry Tesch, Gloria's father and the one person who helped promoting and publishing the series, died in 2018. In December 2019, Gloria Tesch released The Secret of Moon Lake (under the new name/pseudonym Sofia Nova) and called it her debut novel, effectively disowning Maradonia.
- Stillborn Franchise: Maradonia and the Shadow Empire ends with a "Will Return" Caption promising a sequel titled Maradonia and the Escape from the Underworld. Considering that the creators spent almost all their money on Shadow Empire, which didn't even get a DVD release and was presumably a huge net loss, it's very unlikely that Escape from the Underworld will ever get made.
- Troubled Production:
- Dr. Tesch never provided his director Troy Bowman and cinematographer Paulian Morris with a deal or a deal memo. Bowman ended up leaving the project after hours of unpaid prep. Producer Patricia Sofia left after Tesch tried to cut a side deal behind her back to avoid having to pay her. These incidents led to Morris leaving in disgust.
- The Tesches launched an Indiegogo campaign in an attempt to raise funds to continue their work on the movie. It failed miserably, only making 7% of its $20,000 goal... and most of the pledges were from Gloria Tesch herself.
- According to some people who were involved with the production, its "director" Dr. Tesch squandered most of his family's money financing the film, which led to his wife leaving and the Tesches being evicted from their house.
- The planned DVD release never materialized — presumably Dr. Tesch couldn't find any company willing to distribute the movie and couldn't afford to self-publish it.
Trivia / Maradonia Saga