- Channel Hop: The first two trips were broadcast on Bravo while the third was streamed on Apple TV+.
- Friendship on the Set: Discussed in the first episode of the first season, when Ewan and Charley remember how they became buds after both appearing in 1997 film The Serpent's Kiss.
- Sequel Gap: There's a 12-year gap between Down and Up because McGregor and Boorman couldn't get their busy schedules to sync and the two drifted apart. After Boorman suffered a bad accident, the two decided to rekindle their friendship and make time to do the trip.
- Saved from Development Hell: Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman both expressed enthusiasm for taking on a third trip, Long Way Up. But it was almost impossible for McGregor to set aside enough time for the project, resulting in a 12 year gap between Long Way Down and Long Way Up.
- Technology Marches On: In Round and Down, Ewan and Charley had to wear large cameras fitted to their helmets and learn how to use handheld camcorders to shoot their own footage. By Up, technology progressed a lot so the two could wear lightweight GoPros on their helmets and take personal footage on their smartphones.
Trivia / Long Way Round