- Actor Allusion:
- In the "Video-a-Rooney" music video, Holden is seen surfing.
- Towards the end of the series Liv gets cast in a role in a broadway musical described as 'Just like Hamilton only not.' When Holden comes back in "Voice-a-Rooney," he mentions he's living in New York, and tells her to look him up once she gets there. In reality, Jordan Fisher was actually in New York... working on Broadway, as John Laurens in Hamilton.
- And one that counts as an In-Joke: in "Repeat-A-Rooney," after Liv has done a sixth-grade rendition of the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet playing both parts, Liv says to the viewers "Nailed it! They say playing two roles is tough, but... whatever."note
- Grandma Janice, like Cathy Lane, is a world traveler.
- Actor-Shared Background: The half-Korean Piper Curda playing Korean popstar Kathy Kan.
- Casting Gag: The voices of Linda and Heather in "Champ-A-Rooney" are Emmy Buckner and Shelby Wulfert, who are the body doubles for Liv and Maddie in scenes that both twins are in. They also reprise the roles, fully on-screen, in "Linda and Heather-a-Rooney."
- The Cast Showoff: Besides her singing, Dove is also a fluent French speaker, which was a plot point in "Vive-La-Rooney"
- The Danza:
- Joey Bragg, who portrays Joey Rooney.
- One of Dove Olivia Cameron's two roles is Olivia "Liv" Rooney.
- In-universe: One of the actors on Liv's show, Priya, plays a character named Priya. Similarly, the actresses who play Linda and Heather are called... Linda and Heather.
- Dawson Casting: Jessica Marie Garcia, who is 10 years older than her character Willow.
- Directed by Cast Member: Benjamin King directed "Repeat-A-Rooney."
- Playing Their Own Twin: Dove Cameron as Liv and Maddie. Becomes Playing Their Own Triplet in "Helgaween-A-Rooney." Also happens again with Patty Duke portraying Janice and Hillary.
- Romance on the Set:
- Dove Cameron and dated (and in April 2016 became engaged to) Ryan McCartan, who portrays her (Maddie's) boyfriend, Diggie. Sadly, the engagement was broken off in October.
- Joey Bragg is dating Audrey Whitby, who guest starred in a couple of episodes as one of Joey's fellow cosplay enthusiasts/romantic interest.
- Stunt Casting: In "Grandma-A-Rooney," Patty Duke plays Grandma Janice and Great-Aunt Hillary. She has some experience in playing twins. Also counts as Actor Allusion. And in a Theme Tune Cameo from their show, Maddie calls them "a crazy pair!"
- Unintentional Period Piece: The first season of the show is clearly filmed in early 2013, with everyone using iPhones with iOS 6 (in one scene the default iOS 6 wallpaper is shown) or Samsung Galaxy phones and tablets.
- What Could Have Been:
- It was originally planned to have just the twins, a separate project based around Joey Bragg was folded in.
- The plot is a rehash of a pilot called Bits and Pieces which was picked up by Disney Channel but subsequently reformatted into this show. All the cast was exactly the same too, but with Dove Cameron playing a single role and Joey Bragg apparently getting the emphasis. Instead of a twin, the sister would've been played by Cozi Zuehlsdorff who now plays Liv's friend Ocean on the show. The Confession Cam elements are a holdover from the Bits and Pieces pilot, too.
- There is a possibility, given her enjoyable experience filming "Grandma-A-Rooney", striking friendships with the cast, crew and creative team of the series towards the end of her life, that had she not gotten ill with sepsis not long after her appearance, that Patty Duke may have reprised her roles of Grandma Janice and Great Aunt Hillary at some time in the fourth season. Heartwarmingly, the show paid tribute to Patty by displaying a very visible framed photo of her as Grandma Janice, on the table behind the sofa of Aunt Dena's living room for the season 3 finale (and the season 4 episodes).
- The final season was set to have 20 episodes, but was cut down to 15 due to Dove Cameron filming Descendants 2.
- Word of Saint Paul: Joey Bragg believes that Joey and Willow are meant to be and will one day get back together for good.
- Written by Cast Member: Kali Rocha co-wrote "BFF-A-Rooney", "Neighbors-A-Rooney," "Vive-La-Rooney," and "Tiny Houses-A-Rooney."
Trivia / Liv and Maddie