- Name's the Same: John Dies at the End is often abbreviated "JDATE," which is the name of a popular Jewish dating site.
- Jennifer Lopez, in a Bait-and-Switch comment. Subverted with "Morgan Freeman", who Dave notes doesn't look, sound, or is even named anything like his namesake (his real last name is "Appleton"). Dave admits he has a habit of naming random people he comes across after famous celebrities, regardless of actual resemblance.
- Unintentional Period Piece: While the story itself holds up fairly well, some of the humor painfully date it to the mid-2000s.
- The book makes liberal use of the words "retard" and "retarded," something that's fairly cringe-worthy as of the end of The New '10s, as well as less generous but still glaring use of "Fag".
- A number of the pop-culture references have not aged well, notably references to Limp Bizkit and Jennifer Lopez fall rather flat.
- John smokes a cigarette during breakfast at Dennys, at the time the book was written (mid 2000s) smoking sections were on the decline, by the time it was published, indoor smoking at restaurants was illegal in most states.
Trivia / John Dies at the End