- Ascended Fanon: Ryback actually referred to Cena as "Super Cena" during a confrontation with Mick Foley on the April 22, 2013 Raw.
- Contractual Purity: Cena has stated this as one of the main reasons why its difficult for him to turn heel. Cena has enjoyed the charity work that he has done as the top face of the WWE, becoming Make-A-Wish's most requested personality. He insisted that he will have to give up all those works (and likewise the company if they didn't have a replacement ready) to become a villain.
- Fan Community Nicknames: The Chain Gang (as the Doctor of Thuganomics)/The Cenation (in his current gimmick).
- Fan Nickname:
- Dye Hard: Went blond for a while as the Prototype.
- Leslie Nielsen Syndrome: Outside of wrestling, Cena initially made an attempt at becoming an action star to mixed success. Then he played a Large Ham lunkhead in Trainwreck and people discovered just how funny he was, resulting in his subsequently being cast in comedies insteadnote .
- Money, Dear Boy: The reason for Cena's current face gimmick has lasted as long as it has. His merchandise alone has drawn in tons of money for WWE, especially the Anti-Cena merch, which has made them afraid of changing his character at all.
- Playing Against Type: In Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, he voices Baron Draxum, a villain, and not only that, he seems to be the main antagonist . He was also the original voice for another villain, Hunter Cain before being replaced by John DiMaggio in his second appearance.
- Reality Subtext: When it became public knowledge that he was dating Nikki Bella, the romance angle with AJ was quickly rewritten so that he wasn't into her crazy persona, leading to her turning against him. Before that, their breakup was due to Poor Communication Kills, John Cena accidentally insulted AJ's hand made gifts for him when he though they were plants by Vickie Guerrero.
- Referenced by...: CHIKARA had a character named Doctor Cheung, who was an Affectionate Parody, based on how Cena had been known as "The Doctor Of Thugenomics" during his Pretty Fly for a White Guy phase.
- Romance on the Set:
- Was engaged to Nikki Bella.
- There were rumors going around that Cena had an affair with Mickie James. Kenny Dykstra, who was previously engaged to James, confirmed them to be true, stating it was why their engagement ended, and that the real reason Mickie was sent to SmackDown! in late 2009 was because she had a Freak Out! after Cena left her for his fiancee, causing management to force a separation at work. He also claims that his outing of the relationship is what led to his push being stopped and being drafted to SmackDown! as a jobber, before disappearing from TV altogether and eventually released in November 2008. Whether or not Dykstra is reliable is up for debate, as the confirmation came out years later during Cena's divorce proceedings, indicating either an underlying undertone of bitterness or an attempt to put the spotlight on himself. It became unreliable when it was debunked by both Cena and James herself, who claims she and Cena are still good friends.
- If Cena and James were not on speaking terms, she certainly wouldn't have been allowed to have a one-off NXT Womens' Title match with Askua, which is planned for NXT Takeover Toronto.
- What Could Have Been:
- Going down with a serious injury literally days before he was to drop the WWE Championship at No Mercy 2007 to Randy Orton in what would most likely have been another intensifier to their already red-hot feud.
- In similar fashion, his injury in late 2012 prevented us from seeing CM PUNK vs. JOHN CENA V (and the first four had all delivered for the most part) for the WWE Title, inside Hell In A Cell.
- The comprehensive beating Cena took at SummerSlam 2014 from Brock Lesnar, in one of the most one-sided WWE title matches in history? That was meant for Daniel Bryan, but Bryan vacating the title due to neck surgery led to WWE putting Cena in the spot instead.
- Around the time of his debut Cena was auditioning for the voice role of, get this, Ron Stoppable. Just think, if Will Friedle hadn't earned the spot there might well be no WWE or PG/Universe era, at least not the way we know it.
- As part of the infamous injury plague of 2015-16, Cena went down with a shoulder surgery which made him unable to have a match at WrestleMania 32, the first time in 12 years that he didn't have one at the event. A rumour that's gone round since then is that he was supposed to be wrestling THE GOD DAMN UNDERTAKER.
- In 2008, Cena was allied with Cryme Time (Shad Gaspard and JTG) in the wake of the PG rating shift. The idea seemed mutually beneficial at the time: Cryme Time would gain credibility by standing alongside the face of the WWE while Cena would have the opportunity to regain some of the edge he had back during his time as the Doctor of Thuganomics. However, this new alliance - Cryme Time Cenation - was pulled after Cena was injured.
Trivia / John Cena