- All-Star Cast: Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer, Olivia Hussey, Michael York, Ralph Richardson, Ian McShane, Ian Holm, James Mason, Rod Steiger, Anthony Quinn, James Earl Jones, Donald Pleasence, Anne Bancroft, Peter Ustinov, the list goes on.
- Banned in China: The series was banned in Egypt after religious leaders objected to its content.
- California Doubling: Morocco and Tunisia stand in for Israel. In particular, synagogue scenes were shot in Djerba Island in Tunisia, one of the last Arab Jewish enclaves in North Africa, while the town of Monastir, also in Tunisia, represents Jerusalem.
- Cast the Runner-Up:
- Robert Powell was originally considered for Judas.
- Ian McShane was originally offered the role of Joseph of Arimathea. He turned it down, but held out for Judas Iscariot.
- Deleted Scene: Some scenes like the scene where Jesus walks on water; or the wedding at Cana; or the Transfiguration were cut from the final work to reduce the overall running time.
- Name's the Same: Both kings of Judea are named Herod. However, Christopher Plummer's king is called 'Herod Antipas' to distinguish him from Peter Ustinov's Herod the Great. All Truth in Television, of course, as there were four monarchs all called Herod and they all followed one another.
- Playing Against Type: Anthony Burgess wrote the screenplay.
- What Could Have Been:
Trivia / Jesus of Nazareth