- Actor Allusion:
- Actor-Inspired Element: Jennifer insisted on Jim Caviezel playing the male lead in Angel Eyes - as she had been impressed with his performance in The Thin Red Line.
- Actor-Shared Background: In Maid in Manhattan Marissa is a working class Bronx girl who suddenly becomes a tabloid sensation. This parallels Jennifer's own roots and meteoric rise to fame.
- Career Resurrection: Hustlers brought the spotlight back on her, with critics calling it her best work in years and the public clamoring for an Oscar nomination.
- Contractual Purity: She caught flack for adopting a Hotter and Sexier image in the 2000s because her music was popular with young girls. She also made a point that the horror movie The Cell was not meant for her young fans to watch.
- Dawson Casting: Due to Jennifer being Older Than They Look, she's implied to be playing Ramona in Hustlers much younger than her actual age.
- Deleted Role: She had most of her scenes cut down from Jersey Girl because Kevin Smith was hoping to avoid catching the same backlash as Gigli.
- Dye Hard: Usually seen with brown hair, she's been known to go black (Maid in Manhattan) or blonde (Angel Eyes).
- Fake Nationality: Although of Puerto Rican descent, she has played Mexican characters in My Family and Selena.
- Leslie Nielsen Syndrome: In the 90s she became famous for dramatic roles - Selena, Anaconda, Enough. In the 2000s she was better known for romantic comedies - such as Maid in Manhattan, The Wedding Planner, Monster In Law. She's more likely to appear in comedy than drama.
- Money, Dear Boy: She asked for an $8 million salary for Angel Eyes and was initially turned down - but they relented.
- Non-Singing Voice: Although a gifted singer, she was dubbed by the real Selena in the titular film. This is because the film was made so close to the real Selena's death, the filmmakers decided the public would prefer to hear her actual voice.
- Real-Life Relative: Her then-husband Mark Anthony starred with her in the film El Cantante.
- Romance on the Set: Famously on Gigli with Ben Affleck - which caused Executive Meddling to include a romance to capitalise on the publicity behind it.
- Star-Derailing Role: Contrary to popular belief, Gigli did not dent her star power - as she followed it up with the successes Shall We Dance? and Monster In Lawnote . It was An Unfinished Life - a Box Office Bomb that was poorly received by critics - that marked things changing for her. Not helping matters was her next film Bordertown going Direct to Video.
- Star-Making Role: Selena put her on the map as an actress.
- Word of God: She says of the rumor that she has her ass insured - "who would do that?"note
- What Could Have Been:
- Salma Hayek was the first choice for Selena but turned down the audition - saying it was too soon after the death of the real Selena.
- Hilary Swank was the original choice for Maid in Manhattan, back when it was a John Hughes directed project called 'The Chambermaid'. Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts had both passed on the lead.
- Gillian Anderson and Julianna Margulies both had to turn down Jennifer's part in Anaconda - who was originally named Terri Porter, but renamed Flores.
Trivia / Jennifer Lopez