- Actor Allusion:
- Actor-Inspired Element: Jennifer insisted on Jim Caviezel playing the male lead in Angel Eyes - as she had been impressed with his performance in The Thin Red Line.
- Actor-Shared Background: In Maid in Manhattan Marissa is a working class Bronx girl who suddenly becomes a tabloid sensation. This parallels Jennifer's own roots and meteoric rise to fame.
- Contractual Purity: She caught flack for adopting a Hotter and Sexier image in the 2000s because her music was popular with young girls. She also made a point that the horror movie The Cell was not meant for her young fans to watch.
- Deleted Role: She had most of her scenes cut down from Jersey Girl because Kevin Smith was hoping to avoid catching the same backlash as Gigli.
- Dye Hard: Usually seen with brown hair, she's been known to go black (Maid in Manhattan) or blonde (Angel Eyes).
- Fake Nationality: Although of Puerto Rican descent, she has played Mexican characters in My Family and Selena.
- Jossed: She says of the rumor that she has her ass insured - "who would do that?"
- Leslie Nielsen Syndrome: In the 90s she became famous for dramatic roles - Selena, Anaconda, Enough. In the 2000s she was better known for romantic comedies - such as Maid in Manhattan, The Wedding Planner, Monster In Law. She's more likely to appear in comedy than drama.
- Money, Dear Boy: She asked for an $8 million salary for Angel Eyes and was initially turned down - but they relented.
- Non-Singing Voice: Although a gifted singer, she was dubbed by the real Selena in the titular film.
- Real-Life Relative: Her then-husband Mark Anthony starred with her in the film El Cantante.
- Romance on the Set: Famously on Gigli with Ben Affleck - which caused Executive Meddling to include a romance to capitalise on the publicity behind it.
- Star-Derailing Role: Contrary to popular belief, Gigli did not dent her star power - as she followed it up with the successes Shall We Dance? and Monster In Lawnote . It was An Unfinished Life - a Box Office Bomb that was poorly received by critics - that marked things changing for her. Not helping matters was her next film Bordertown going Direct-to-Video.
- Star-Making Role: Selena put her on the map as an actress.
- What Could Have Been:
- Salma Hayek was the first choice for Selena but turned down the audition - saying it was Too Soon after the death of the real Selena.
- Hilary Swank was the original choice for Maid in Manhattan, back when it was a John Hughes directed project called 'The Chambermaid'. Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts had both passed on the lead.
- Gillian Anderson and Julianna Margulies both had to turn down Jennifer's part in Anaconda - who was originally named Terri Porter, but renamed Flores.
Trivia / Jennifer Lopez