- Acclaimed Flop: The film received positive reviews and an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay, but only made $11.1 million on a $20 million budget. It just barely got out of a wide release with about 645 theaters playing it domestically. note
- Actor Allusion: Clancy Charlock says her "preference" is dating two guys simultaneously (and exits Doc's office with two bikers). She is played by a pornographic actress known for that kind of scene.
- Fan Nickname: For people who hated the movie, "Incoherent Vice" is used to describe it.
- Old Shame: Reese Witherspoon doesnt think about this highly. Other than going to the premiere, she did no interviews nor any promotion on her social media like she does her other films. She even requested Anderson to limit her role after he was considering expanding her screentime.
- Those Two Actors: Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, who make their first appearance together since playing Johnny Cash and June Carter-Cash in Walk the Line.
- What Could Have Been: Initially Robert Downey Jr. was attached to play Doc, but dropped out in order to avoid Dawson Casting, feeling he was too old for the role.
Trivia / Inherent Vice