- What Could Have Been: Several concepts or scenes that can be seen in the various tie-in material were cut.
- Originally a crisis would've erupted at the boat, as a vulture would've refused animals who did not have mates entry onto the boat (obviously taking the "ark" parallel further).
- A third reptile was going to appear alongside Cretaceous and Maelstrom.
- Originally the film was a No Antagonist story, but the filmmakers felt they needed an antagonist with a face, thus the creation of Cretaceous and Maelstrom.
- Scrat was originally going to officially join the group, but was ultimately delegated to his traditional outsider role.
- The scene between Sid's encounter with the Mini-Sloths and the geyser field originally was a travel montage of the group crossing various perils. The director found it boring and livened things up with the "Food, Glorious Food" number, married with the previous concept of the group crossing the perilous landscape.
- Originally Ellie would've helped the group cross the geyser field by climbing to a tree and telling them where to go, and this would've separated her from Manny, Sid and Diego, as opposed to their fight in the final film.
Trivia / Ice Age 2: The Meltdown