- Actor Allusion:
- Octavia Spencer playing a highly gifted lady dealing with race relations in 1960s America? Hmmm...
- Taraji P Henson and Mahershala Ali played lovers in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button as well.
- Kirsten Dunst working in NASA? What a nice inversion from the last movie where she dealt with astronomy...
- Glen Powell's presence is amusing considering his last relationship with a black woman.
- Approval of God: The real Katherine Johnson gave Taraji P Henson her approval, though she joked that she couldn't see why anyone would want to make a movie about her life.
- The Cameo: Neil Armstrong's son Mark has a cameo when Paul Stafford is explaining to the engineers that they'll need to develop the math for re-entry.
- The Danza: Sort of. Glen Powell as John Glenn.
- Doing It for the Art: Theodore Mefli was in the running to direct Spider-Man: Homecoming but withdrew his name from consideration to do this instead.
- Playing with Character Type: Jim Parsons plays an Insufferable Genius who hates having his work double-checked. He's also the closest thing the movie has to an antagonist, playing his attitude for drama rather than comedy.
- Prop Recycling: The Mission Control props were previously used in Apollo 13 and The Hunger Games: Mockingjay.
- Sleeper Hit: Made for a scant $25 million, it made over $169 million in the States, and a combined global total of over $229 million, and had such great word-of-mouth, became just the 7th film since 2004 to spend 11 straight weeks in the box office top 10note , and the highest-grossing film top-billed by a black actress ever.note
- What Could Have Been: Oprah Winfrey and Viola Davis were considered for the role of Katherine Johnson.
- Write What You Know: Screenwriter Allison Schroeder had interned at NASA and her grandparents had worked there.
Trivia / Hidden Figures