- Author Phobia: Because one of the triggers the author has is food due to her PTSD, Requiem was inspired for the second murder because of this fear.
- Based on a Dream: The whole Committee Saga is based loosely on a dream that the author had that only was about two of the trials, the first and the fifth. Things have changed but it keeps a lot of its nightmare-like presence, which is probably why there are so many of them in the story itself.
- Cross-Dressing Voices: With the reveal of the cast for the audiobook, some of the characters such as Mitsuru and Cassius.
- Development Gag: The reason why Akita's alter ego is named Akiza Yamamoto is that that was her name in the original script.
- Fandom Nickname: Some of Monokuma's nicknames have become this such as Aya-Izumi-Chan-Chan.
- Fandom Nod: All over the place. Sanity Requiem makes many references to the memes that the fandom has created in her stories.
- Jossed: There's a reason why some of the fans call Requiem the Ultimate Theory Destroyer.
- Lying Creator: Sometimes Requiem will lie about the plot. This is to increase the Wham Episode effects and she also happens to be a Troll.
- For example, Requiem lied about Ayano being heterosexual, though she has a canon interest in both men and women. Why? Because she felt like it.
- Self-Adaptation: Requiem, the writer of the original fanfiction, is also working on the audiobook. She has also revealed that she would be interested in a game if she series gets popular enough, or she gets enough money and experience.
- Trolling Creator: Oh dear lord. Requiem loves messing with her audience a little too much. She really does feed on their tears.
- Write What You Know: Requiem reveals that some of the plot points in this story are based on her own life, though she understandably doesn't want to talk about it. She says she does this in some way for all of her stories as a way to vent.
- Write Who You Know: Hideyoshi, Kaneshiro, Kotori, and Ayano Kirigiri are based on actual people she has come to contact with. Once again, Requiem not wanting to talk about it makes a whole lot of sense.
- From what we know, Kaneshiro is based on a father of one of Requiem's childhood friends that turned out to be a rapist and generally a bad person. She was inspired by how people were so easily manipulated him, even though it was proven without a doubt that he was guilty.
- Hideyoshi is based on Requiem's cousin. For her entire life, Requiem has been an obsession for her cousin, with him abusing her for many years. Requiem was inspired by this obsession to make Hideyoshi. This is also the reason that Hideyoshi turns out to be Akita's cousin.
Trivia / Forest of Despair