- Acting for Two: Well, five. The film is basically one huge showcase for Robert Picardo's comedic talentsnote .
- The Cast Showoff: Robert Picardo. He just cuts loose with his impersonations and comic beats.
- Executive Meddling: The film had a later release date when the studio changed hands and decided to release it earlier, when editing wasn't really finished. That's why the helicopter pilot and Lori Swan plotlines are spotty and don't quite fit. The guy on a date at the drive-in is supposed to be Ben's older brother - the one Ben says entered his "Jerk phase" as they walked to the top of the hill.
- Production Posse: It wouldn't be a Joe Dante film without Dick Miller being cast in a significant role. Additionally, this makes Dante regular Robert Picardo's second film after The Howling, and is Jerry Goldsmith's third movie score for Dante after Twilight Zone: The Movie and Gremlins.
- What Could Have Been: The film was originally going to be directed by Wolfgang Petersen, but disagreements with the studio caused him to bow out (specifically, he wanted to film it in Germany to avert California Doubling).
Trivia / Explorers