- Acting for Two-Hundred: Jim Varney not only plays all of Ernest's relatives, but on some occasions, will also play additional characters who have no relation to Ernest whatsoever, such as the creepy alien cyborg - Dr. Otto, drill sergeant-turned-school teacher - Sergeant Glory, and criminal mastermind - Mr. Nash.
- In Hey Vern, It's Ernest, multiple supporting actors play multiple characters.
- Breakaway Advertisement: From advertising stuff to a film star.
- Follow the Leader: "Hey Vern, it's Ernest" was due to the success of Pee-wee's Playhouse.
- Recycled Set: The "Me and My Brother Bobby" commercials are obviously shot in the same houses and neighborhood as the Ernest commercials were; in fact, in one such episode, Chuck and Bobby drop in on a lady as her suitors, and she clearly is living in Vern's house.
- The Other Darrin: John Hudgens voiced Ernest in CGI commercials after Varney's death, and actually played him in live action commercials circa 2005. Safe to say, the fandom did not rejoice.
- What Could Have Been:
- No less than three movies were planned in 1990 — Ernest Spaced Out, Ernest and the Voodoo Curse and Ernest and the Water Baby — but all three were ultimately scrapped.
- A musical film had been planned at one point, but was tossed out due to being too expensive.
- Had Jim Varney not... you know... in 2000, he would have a role in the film Pirates of the Plain
Trivia / Ernest P. Worrell