- What Could Have Been: Sanderson ended up changing several things from his original conception of the novel.
- Raoden was originally supposed to have been in Elantris for awhile, rather than a newcomer.
- Raoden was originally supposed to have a younger brother "the Mad Prince" who would act as a supporting villain, but was cut for being largely extraneous to the novel (though Sanderson admitted to liking the character)- Telrii ended up taking over the meatier portions of his role.
- Hrathen was originally supposed to be a Dula who converted to Shu-Dereth and betrayed his own people to the Fjordell- this was changed because it undermined the ending of Hrathen's arc where the very Fjordell Hrathen turns against his people and his prophet-king to do what's right.
- Word of God: There are two Shards of Adonalsium on Sel; Devotion and Dominion, but their holders (Aona and Skai) were killed by Odium's holder Rayse, who then splintered their Shards so they could not be used.
Trivia / Elantris