- Actor Allusion: Kristen Scott Thomas had been an imperious aristocratic matriarch in Gosford Park, complete with a tense relationship with her husband.
- Awesome, Dear Boy: Ben Barnes signed on because he was a huge fan of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
- Beauty Inversion: Kristen Scott Thomas has a haggard appearance and greying hair, reflecting how she's still not moved on from World War I and her husband's infidelity. This heavily contrasts to her other classy appearances in period dramas with Gorgeous Period Dress.
- The Cast Show Off: Colin Firth, Ben Barnes and Jessica Biel all contributed to the film's soundtrack.
- Creator Backlash: Subverted. Kristen Scott Thomas had this while filming was going on. The director told her to play Veronica as a "mustache-twirling Disney witch", which she called the worst direction she'd ever received. But she came to embrace her character's wickedness, and employed Ham and Cheese.
- Funny Character, Boring Actor: Larita has a witty comeback for everything, and is incredibly charismatic. Jessica Biel describes herself as far too nice and shy to be as witty as her.
- Playing Gertrude: Larita is meant to be significantly older than John, judging by her constant lines about him being "a boy". Jessica Biel is several months younger than Ben Barnes.
- Reality Subtext: Jessica Biel as the only non-Brit in the cast, and the only one who hadn't done much stage work beforehand, parallels how Larita is out of place among John's family.
- Playing with Character Type: Jessica Biel is often a Ms. Fanservice or Good Bad Girl, and Larita fits that bill. But as this is a period piece, that puts rather a different spin on the matter.
- Talent Double: Insurance reasons wouldn't allow Jessica Biel to ride the motorcyle, so she has a double for that. She did however do the can-can dance herself.
- What Could Have Been:
"I did not want to make that film. And Barnaby had been going on to me about it for two years. And - "Oh, no, I don't want to do it." "Oh, come on. Come on, come on, you can go home every Friday night." "All right then." You know. "I'll do it." And I had such a ball."
- Kristen Scott Thomas initially turned down the part of Veronica but...
- Ben Barnes was originally going to sing the cover of "Mad About the Boy", but Word of God is that Noel Coward's will said "no man will ever sing that song again". They asked Jessica Biel to do it instead.
Trivia / Easy Virtue