- Creator Backlash: Amanda Bynes hated how her performance in the film turned out, and was part of the reason why she temporarily retired from acting.
- Emma Stone herself revealed that she's never watched the entire movie to this day, stating that it was an incredibly stressful project and that it brought up bad memories for her.
- Dawson Casting: All the high school kids, to the point that the joke about Micah being several years older than the others does not work since they all look the same age. Made more jarring since they managed to get actual 14-year-olds for the flashback sequence, making it look like the characters aged 10 years from 8th to 12th grade.
- Playing Against Type: The movie stars Alyson Michalka and Amanda Bynes in major roles. Lalaine also has a cameo.
- Real-Life Relative: Emma Stone's brother is a prominent extra at the party where Olive "does" Brandon.
- Shout-Out: Aside from narrating her own life by talking directly to a camera, Olive references Ferris Bueller first by naming it explicitly and then playing guitar and quoting, "I only had one lesson."
- Also in the well-known "Pocketful of Sunshine" montage, the part in the shower is like Ferris Bueller's.
- Star-Making Role: Put Emma Stone on the map (though some credit could be given to Zombieland).
- The Cast Showoff: Emma Stone is definitely not a bad singer.
- What Could Have Been:
- The movie was initially written as a hard-R adult comedy which featured, according to the writer Bert Royal, 47 F-bombs. This gives a little more credence to Olive's response to Nina, knowing that "twat" was probably originally a case of Country Matters — it would certainly make the principal's reaction a bit more justified.
- Emma Stone's audition, included as a special feature on the DVD and Blu-Ray releases, reveals that the original script had Brandon as the source of Olive's middle-school crush, and he was the boy that she lied about kissing during "Seven Minutes of Heaven."
Trivia / Easy A