- All-Star Cast: Timothy Dalton, Brendan Fraser, Matt Bomer and Alan Tudyk are all fairly well-known as is Diane Guerrero due to Orange Is the New Black.
- Awesome, Dear Boy: Diane Guerrero had been vocal about wanting to be in a superhero adaptation for some time prior to being cast as Crazy Jane.
- The Cast Showoff: Matt Bomer kills it during Negative Man's karaoke Imagine Spot.
- Dawson Casting: Diane Guerrero was 32 at the time the series started. Crazy Jane is stated to have been born in 1950 and got her powers and presumably stopped aging in 1976, meaning Guerrero is playing someone who is physically supposed to be a 26 year-old. May also be Fridge Brilliance as she's also meant to be able to play the adult Doctor Harrison.
- Dueling Works: Somewhat. Both this and Netflix's The Umbrella Academy (2019) premiered on the same day, were based on comics and were about a Ragtag Bunch of Misfits and Big, Screwed-Up Family becoming a superhero team.
- Fake American: Cyborg is played by the British Joivan Wade.
- The Other Darrin: For some reason, several members were recast from Titans to this.
- Bruno Bichir doesn't reprise the Chief and, instead, Timothy Dalton takes over.
- Matt Bomer replaces Dwain Murphy as Negative Man.
- Jake Michaels portrays Robotman in Titans but, in this show, the role is split between Brendan Fraser (who provides his voice and portrays him in his previous human form) and Riley Shanahan (who portrays him in the present).
- Playing Against Type: A mild example, with the casting of Brendan Fraser as Cliff Steele. Whilst Fraser is well-known for playing goofy, shouty, socially-awkward characters (which puts Cliff in his general wheelhouse), it can be a little jarring for his fans to find out that he's also easily the most foul-mouthed character in the show (apart from Jane, that is). Likewise, the flashbacks revealing Cliff's spiral of sex, drugs and alcohol can be a little surprising for those used to Fraser's usual "nice guy" image.
- Queer Character, Queer Actor: In a minor case of First-Episode Twist, Matt Bomer's character Larry is revealed to be cheating on his wife with a man.
- What Could Have Been:
- Kelsey Grammer had discussions for the role of Niles Caulder before the casting of Timothy Dalton.
- Alexandra Daddario screen-tested for the part of Crazy Jane before Diane Guerrero was cast.
- Warner Bros. had wanted a Doom Patrol movie back in 2006, and yet nothing ever came of it. After many years, Doom Patrol will now be refit for web television.
Trivia / Doom Patrol