- Blooper: The Ice Warriors have finally penetrated the base. They come in through the door in a fairly dramatic scene. One Ice Warrior, near the back, bangs his head on the doorframe. Another Ice Warrior sees this, ducks slightly as he enters to avoid this fate and then bangs his head anyway.
- Creator's Favourite Episode: Director Derek Martinus named this as his favourite story, mainly because the cast was so strong.
- Enforced Method Acting: Rather than use Stock Footage for the scene where Jamie and Penney are menaced by a bear, a live bear was brought into the studio.
- Missing Episode: This story is largely intact, with only Episodes Two and Three (of six) missing (this is because the four episodes we have were accidentally left in an old filing cabinet and forgotten about). Until the return of "The Enemy of the World" and "The Web of Fear", it was the only story from Patrick Troughton's first two seasons that was anywhere near being complete, with the exception of "The Tomb of the Cybermen". In August 2013, the serial was released on DVD for the first time, with the missing episodes restored using animation.
- Throw It In: The script originally called for Varga and Zondal to block the Doctor's path when he enters their room, but Patrick Troughton ad-libbed him panically attempting to leave.
- What Could Have Been: Brian Hayles envisioned the eponymous Ice Warriors as Viking-like cybernetic creatures, with high-tech instruments on their armour and helmets. This was changed as the original concept was felt to be too similar to the Cybermen.
Trivia / Doctor Who S5 E3 "The Ice Warriors"