- First Appearance: Of Romana.
- Orphaned Reference: Garron was originally Australian, hence the reference to his fraudulent sale of the Sydney Opera House.
- Recycled Set: The sets were left over from The BBC's adaptation of Anna Karenina.
- Wag the Director: The script originally called for the Doctor to be in awe of the White Guardian. However, Tom Baker insisted on playing it mockingly while trying not to laugh at how serious it all was, both much more in-character and pretty badass into the bargain. However his performance still does come across as uncommonly nervous and respectful.
- What Could Have Been:
- Sarah Jane Smith was supposed to return to help the Doctor find the Key to Time. When Elisabeth Sladen declined, Romana was created.
- Initially, the jethrik was important because it was actually a source of incredible energy which could power a fleet of spaceships.
- Working Title: Operation, The Galactic Conman and The Ribos File.
- Writer Revolt: Robert Holmes didn't think much of the season concept or the Doctor being some god-like being's errand boy, so right in the very first scene he makes it clear that the Guardian is nothing but an enigmatic bully who gets what he wants by threats. The Doctor spends the rest of the serial befriending some honest criminals instead.
Trivia / Doctor Who S16 E1 "The Ribos Operation"