- Box Office Bomb: Budget, $45 million. Box office, $11 million.
- Dueling Movies:
- The Other Marty: Claire Forlani was cast as Trillian, but dropped out three days into filming citing Creative Differences with Stephen Sommers, and Famke Janssen eventually took her place.
- Referenced by...: Octalus made a cameo appearance in an issue of The Thanos Imperative.
- Release Date Change: Originally scheduled for a May 1997 release date, but was pushed back as Buena Vista had more hope for Con Air as their big action film that summer.
- What Could Have Been:
- At one point, Harrison Ford was approached for the role of Finnegan. He declined, and the production budget was subsequently downsized.
- In the original script, John Finnegan's catchphrase was "what now?" In the film it was changed to "now what?"
- In the same script, we learn what actually drove the monster to the surface: an encounter with a Japanese submarine which disturbs it. It included an eerie extended sequence in which the sub explores the "valley of death" (filled with whale skeletons and sunken ships) in the trench before encountering the creature, which is only glimpsed before heading to the surface after the sub accidentally drills into it while attempting to collect some specimens. In the finished film, the "valley of death" is briefly seen during the opening credits from the monster's P.O.V.
- Working Title: Tentacle, which was changed in order to avoid giving away the twist about the monster too early.
Trivia / Deep Rising